Monday, January 26, 2009

small spaces #1

Come August, I will likely be making the move from a quaint three bedroom house to a studio apartment. These are sad tidings as I love where I live. The house is cute from the outside, cozily furnished from the inside, I've painted my room the perfect color, and one of my roommates often makes lasagna or other savory goodies that he is generally willing to share. Our living room is full of records and band equipment (none of which belong to me) that frequently provide a relaxing soundtrack to my Sunday mornings (as long as they stay away from reggae). As someone who has a hard time getting out, another perk of my living arrangement is having friends who live right across the hall. Alas, these friends are ready to move on to different things and I'm both too lazy and socially sensitive to try and find new roommates.

Luckily, I'm finding ways to stay positive about the whole thing. There are some great perks to living alone. For one, I get to go to bed without worrying whether or not I'll be woken up by my roommates when they come home at bar time (respectful as they are). And what if I don't want a Sunday morning soundtrack? No problem... unless I have awful neighbors.

One of the main things that I'm looking forward to is the prospect of decorating my own place and making the best out of a very small space. There will be no need to compromise if one roommate does not like this painting here or there. It will go where I like it. And if I stop liking it there? I will move it.

I've been spending a lot of time at interior design blogs like Apartment Therapy, looking for inspiration and have certainly found plenty. It's amazing what people do with small spaces.



Though I'm quite certain that I won't be moving to a tiny cabin, I do love the idea of it, right down to the dog on the porch.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm so excited for you! You're going to love living alone, I just know it, and you'll have the cutest little place.